Orla McCoy, Clayton Utz
McCoy was promoted to the Clayton Utz
partnership in January 2014. Her career highlights include acting for the liquidators of Lehman Brothers Australia, acting for the administrators of Borders and Angus & Robertson, acting for the replacement superannuation trustee (ACT Super Management Pty Ltd) in relation to what has been termed the "largest superannuation fraud in Australian history" (the Trio Capital collapse) and having advised on a high-stakes ABC Learning Centres (ABC2) matter in 2009-2011. In the ABC2 matter Orla and a cross-practice team helped the client restructure and sell more than 200 childcare centres – which, without the client’s intervention would have been shut down. The matter involved significant legal issues, including ensuring leases remained on foot, applications to the Court and numerous indemnity and liability issues.
Check out who else made it on Australasian Lawyer
's Hot 40.
Partner, Clayton Utz (2014)
- Special Counsel, Restructuring & Insolvency, Clayton Utz (2009-2013)
- Senior Associate, Banking & Finance, Hogan Lovells Amsterdam (2006-2008)
- Senior Associate, Restructuring & Insolvency, Clayton Utz (2002-2005)
- In-house Counsel, Dublin, Ireland (1997-2001).
|Years of Experience:
Over 15 years of experience in corporate restructuring and insolvency law
- Winner Restructuring & Insolvency Deal of the Year 2010 (ABC Learning Centres - ABC2 Group)
- INSOL International
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association
- Turnaround Management Association (Australia)
- Law Society of NSW
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Bachelor of Arts in European Studies, Law and French, Ireland (1995)
- Degree of Barrister-at-Law, Kings Inns, Dublin (1997)
- Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Parts 1 and 2, University of Southern Queensland/IPA (2003-2004)
To read the full feature, download Australasian Lawyer's Hot 40 2014
feature on PDF.