Ian Robertson, Holding Redlich
Robertson acted for the peak body of trade unions in New South Wales, Unions NSW and five NSW trade unions in a landmark case late last year in the High Court. The case challenged provisions in NSW election funding legislation that prohibit those not on the NSW roll of registered voters from making a political donation to a political party or candidate. The provisions also aggregate expenditure of trade unions affiliated with a political party with the expenditure of that political party for political expenditure cap purposes. In a game-changing decision, the High Court ruled in a unanimous decision that these NSW election funding laws are invalid because they infringe the implied freedom of political communication in the Australian Constitution. The outcome has far-reaching implications and presents an opportunity for national reform of Australia’s election funding laws.
Check out who else made it on Australasian Lawyer
's Hot 40.
- Managing Partner - Sydney, Holding Redlich (1994)
- President of the Board, Film Victoria (2011)
- Board member, Beyond International Limited (2005)
- Adviser, Network Insight Institute (1996)
- Deputy Chair, Screen Australia (2008-2013)
- Board Member, Ausfilm (2001-2009)
- Board member, Australian Broadcasting Authority (1997-2004)
- Board member, Cinemedia Corporation (1998-2000)
- Deputy Chair, Film Australia Limited (1991-1997)
- Board member, Melbourne Parks and Waterways (1994-1996)
|Years of Experience:
- Entertainment Law and Corporate Law, 2014 Best Lawyer List
- Screen Producers Australia - Independent Producer Award for services to the Australian screen production industry - 2002.
- Old Camberwell Grammarians Association - Honorary Life Member - 2011.
- Screen Producers Australia
- Communications & Media Law Association of Australia
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (FAICD)
- Leading Professional Services Firms, Harvard Business School
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- Bechelor of Commerce, University of Melbourne
To read the full feature, download Australasian Lawyer's Hot 40 2014
feature on PDF.