John Denton | Hot 40 2014
John Denton, Corrs Chambers Westgarth
If you were looking for someone to chair a discussion between the presidents of Russia, China and Mexico, you would need that person to be a globally-respected thought leader. That’s why, when the Australian Business Advisory Counsel recently hosted this exact group of leaders at its annual dialogue with APEC leaders, it called upon John Denton. Long one of the most influential lawyers in the country, Denton is the personification of his vision for a law firm. In this regard, Denton was recently appointed one of two originating Australian members by the Prime Minister and Treasurer for a business reference group of the G20, the B20.
Check out who else made it on Australasian Lawyer's Hot 40.
- Partner and Chief Executive Officer, Corrs Chambers Westgarth (2001)
- Partner, Corrs Chambers Westgarth (1996)
- Diplomat with the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (1983-1992)
- John held postings in Moscow, United Nations New York, South Asia and the Middle East.
- He is a fluent Russian speaker.
- Lawyer, Corrs Chambers Westgarth (1992-1995)
- Business Council of Australia - Board Member
- Government appointed panel member of the Australian Independent Review of Aid Effectiveness
- Australia in the Asian Century White Paper - External Adviser
|Years of Experience:
- Best Lawyer - Government 2009-2014 – Best Lawyers Peer Review Survey
- Best Lawyer – Employee Benefits 2013-2014 – Best Lawyers Peer Review Survey
- Best Lawyer – Trade 2010-2014 – Best Lawyers Peer Review Survey
- Government Lawyer of the Year 2014 (Melbourne) – Best Lawyers Peer Survey
- Best Labour Law Practitioners in the Asia Pacific by Asialaw Leading Lawyers
- Prime Ministerial representatives on the APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC) (May 2008-)
- Chair of ABAC’s Finance and Economics Working Group
- Australian B20 Leadership Group
- Chairman – Global Engagement Taskforce - Business Council of Australia (BCA)
- Chair of the BCA Global Engagement Taskforce
- Australia for UNHCR – Founding Chair (2002–)
- Board member of Asialink
- Board Member of Asia Society
- Founding member of the Australia China CEO Roundtable meetings
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) G20 Advisory Group
- Chairman (emeritus) of the Experts Group on Trade and Investment in Indonesia
- AMP, Harvard Business School
- BA (Hons) LLB, University of Melbourne
- Xavier College
To read the full feature, download Australasian Lawyer's Hot 40 2014
feature on PDF.